Good health is awareness.
What is prediabetes? What’s an A1c of 5.7 or higher mean? Learn more — and about how lifestyle changes can make a difference to your health.
What Is Prediabetes?
Before people develop type 2 diabetes, they almost always have prediabetes. This means their blood glucose levels are higher than normal, but not yet high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes.
Learn more about causes, symptoms, treatments, and prevention.
Preventing Prediabetes And Diabetes
- Get support and tips from a health coach.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: preventing diabetes
- Prediabetes Risk Assessment test
- Which treatment should you use to prevent type 2 diabetes? Use this decision-making tool to consider your options.
Más Información Sobre La Prediabetes
- ¿Que es la prediabetes?
- ¿Que puedo hacer para demorar o evitar el desarrollo de diabetes del tipo 2?
Prediabetes: Steps You Can Take Now
Learn about prediabetes, who’s at risk, healthful steps, and much more. You can even take a quiz about healthy eating!
How Can I Prevent Or Delay Diabetes?
Steps you can try:
- Planning and eating balanced meals and snacks
- Making physical activity part of your regular routine–aim for 30 minutes daily
- Maintaining a healthy weight, which helps your body use insulin more efficiently
- Talking to your doctor about medication that may help
- Learning more about prediabetes self-care
- Quitting tobacco–tobacco use makes prediabetes and diabetes problems worse
Are There Programs That Could Help?
There are several offerings that can help you prevent diabetes:
- Understanding Prediabetes live webinar and Preventing Prediabetes Program
- Healthy Weight online class
- CDC Diabetes Prevention Program — find a program near you
- Get advice, encouragement, and tools with online wellness programs that help you create positive changes in your life
Do I Have To Worry About Symptoms?
Most people with prediabetes don’t have any symptoms. But if you have prediabetes, you need to watch for signs of diabetes, such as:
- Feeling very thirsty
- Urinating more often than usual
- Feeling very hungry
- Having blurred vision
Get information about diagnosing diabetes and testing.
Form Healthy Habits To Help Prevent Prediabetes And Diabetes
See how taking small steps, creating reminders, and congratulating yourself can help lead you toward a healthier life. B.J. Fogg, a renowned Stanford University behavior change researcher, shows you how to form healthier habits.
Your Total Health
Remember, your well-being is affected by both your mind and your body. It’s important to take good care of each to have complete health.
Learn how to care for the whole you.
Talk To A Health Coach About Your Options
Sometimes, we all need a little help as we’re working towards a goal. As you work to stay healthy and prevent diabetes, a health coach can help you explore your options and offer support to stay on track and reach your goals.
Learn more about Kaiser Permanente’s health coaching sessions.